When I worked for the medical center, I registered patients; and the names that I ran across were sometimes hideous. A co-worker and I said that some of the names that were chosen for children must have happened when the moms were coming down from their delivery highs. We had a mock do-over list for parents that chose the most idiotic names for their children.
Segue.....I've an ad on OkCupid. I've had a few conversations with guys in Texas and here in Florida, and I have searched the ads as well. A few things I've noticed in my perusal of said ads that are immediate turn-offs:
- Using Caligula in your screen name only gives me visions of you and your horse. I don't think there's any room for me in that relationship nor do I care to find out.
- Adding -meister to your name is not really impressive unless I'm also a twelve year old boy or your fraternity brother.
- Being a geek or a dork is ok but a reference to Star Wars, Batman, or an XMen ability in your profile name is not.
- When you incorporate what you plan on doing to me sexually in your handle, well, I'm thinking you're a one trick pony and I'm already bored with you.
- Esoteric names like ShyDreamerofMagicTantricHealing21 or FluidAmnesiac are not intellectual but in fact make you sound dumb.
- Labeling yourself as 'real' or 'averagejoe' or 'niceguy' or 'lastofadyingbreed' is not going to sell tickets to your parade.
- Your sports team + 'Rules' = 'Iwasuptothreea.m.andcouldn'tcomeupwithanythingelse.'
I'm ok with most choices of profile names but please put a little thought into choosing it. I'm judging. I'm also laughing.